Articles/Blog
Not long ago me and the wife topped off the garden area with some bird houses. She likes having the birds around and hopefully with any luck we will get some birds. So, I made three bird houses and mounted them on top of 4"x4" posts. Our garden area is basically hazelnut (off-white), so everything was pre-painted by us before doing this. The houses were easy to build. They just have a 1"x2" frame... Read More

Time to add the finish layer to the bench seat. Normally, I would do this after painting but since this bench has ornate curves, that is difficult to do. Each board has been cut to fit. Otherwise, I would paint then stain the seat are and attach it after the fact. I had some #2 red oak left over from a job from years ago. I always thought oak flooring on a bench or chair would be nice. Well, here... Read More

Next, I'll build the framework for the seat. I'm using 1"x4" pine (It's what I had laying around), although this is what I'd use anyway. Since the front of the bench legs are pointing out slightly, I'll get my width measurement from the back where the legs are attached to the headboard. I can't remember off hand what my measurement was but I'll cut two boards at this length. After stapling the fi... Read More

All Articles

Articles/Blog Categories
Articles/Blog Archive
Twitter
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Name: 
 Email:



Subscribe Unsubscribe
Drop Us A Line
Name:


Email:





Captcha:


Manzana Fence Rebuild
Manzana Fence Rebuild

My mom, Evelyn, lives in Colorado Springs and at the turn of the year, they had 75mph winds that caused all kinds of trouble for fence owners and anybody with a roof. I was unaware of what was happening because I live 2 hours north but she called me and said, "I need help". I asked what was going on and she said her fence blew over. She then told me about the winds and all the details.


She asked if we could fix it and I said sure we could. What we decided though was to see if the homeowner's insurance would fix it. As you've probably guessed they said no and a fence builder gave her an estimate that was for part of the fence (just the parts that blew over). I can't remember exactly his quote but I knew we could do it for cheaper than that and do the whole thing, not just parts.


I went down and took some measurements and we got started. We actually with a good clean up of the area and by removing the old fence. While most of it was down, there were some posts to remove, etc. Next, we rented an auger and drilled some holes and set our posts in concrete. Then the rails went up, followed by all the pickets. We also built two gates for easier yard access. Other than losing 4 days to weather, we had things wrapped up in less than 10 days.


I tried to take pictures often to document but I did miss some days.



Comments