Part 02 is the removing the finish and sanding it down. As you noticed I've removed the inserts. I will sand them down separately but I will re-install them afterward.
What I've liked so far about this thing is that it had the original screws holding them inserts in. I like that and I always (if possible) try to use and keep the original hardware on things. It has character and I think that everytime a piece is lost, the piece loses it's character a little bit.
I picked up an antique 1940's (according to the lady) bed frame. I saw it on-line advertised in an estate sale. What I liked is that it was cheap, I think I paid about $75 for it and great lines. The height was also an eye grabber for me. After seeing it in person I immediately thought about making it into a bench as I had never done a bed frame to bench conversion. The only issue with this is that the buyer may need a larger entry way, as this thing is pretty tall.
So, first things first, I'll strip this thing down and then sand it down. Since, I am probably painting it so I won't strip it all the way down to bare wood, although that'd be the best thing to do if re-staining it. After that, I'll cut the foot board in half and turn them 90°. That gives me the depth of the seat and the headboard gives me the width. I've got some old #2 red oak hardwood flooring left over from a job about a million years ago and I'll use that on the seat top. I won't paint that, but more than likely stain it, maybe ebony.
Yesterday was the most exhausting day I have ever had I think. I installed 1000sq' of laminate hard wood floor. I didn't plan on doing the floors as Paul was going to stain the floor. He decided to only stain the back work/storage area and then install hardwood flooring over the rest. I like doing hardwood floor, although I'm not excited about laminate flooring as I am a real hardwood floor guy. However, if done right, this floor always looks nice and is a lot cheaper than the real deal.
I didn't shoot to get this done in one day, but I did. It took me 12 hrs of going non stop (only stopped for lunch) to do it. Paul's shop is about a 30 min drive and I had things to do the next day and didn't want to leave it for basically 3 days as Paul was trying to get moved in. So, i sucked it up and got it done. What helped is not having any issues during install. Everything went great.
Today was a break from the normal as far as a build goes. Being is how this is a bike shop, Paul needed two work benches built for working/repairing bikes. He asked me if I could build these for him and I said you bet.
I started by dado cutting four 4"x4" posts that were 32" high. In these dado cuts I installed the 2"x4"s I had cut. Once installed, this gives a nice solid feel, takes out any wobble you may have and keeps things nice and sqaure. The dado cuts take awhile to do if you are using a single blade, but they are well worth it in the long run.
Today was another easy day and one of my favorites. I installed the door trim and the counter top trim today. Paul is going with a rubber base around the perimeter, So, I didn't need to do that. Paul will be painting the trim himself that is why he didn't elect to pre paint it before install.
The better your framing is with regards to sqaure and plumb, the better your trim will turn out. You'll already be fighting litlle small details like a 32nd on an inch. Make it easier on yourself and take you're time framing and hanging/finishing drywall. You will be glad you did. Besides some 45's, this was a pretty straight forward job.