Today's update is after the drywall is hung, finished, and textured. This took a little time. Hanging drywall for me is always pretty quick, its the finishing part that I wait on. It isn't difficult but I have to wait for it to dry. I can get all seams finished off with usually no more than 3 coats. So, thats three days of dry time. I did these 2 and a half coats in the mornings that way it had the remainder of the day and the night to dry.
I sand in between each coat. Normally, I sand by hand but this time I used my cordless sander to do the job. I went back doing it by hand for some the finer details. Things went faster naturally, but also put more dust in the air. If you have a mask and dont mind getting dust all over? Give it a try. The last step here was the texture. Paul elected to match the texture he already had which is a orange peel knock down texture.
This project begins with some standard framing @ 16" on center. You'll notice that i did a small room (fitting room) with a 2' 0" door. This leads to a 5' high wall, which then goes into a customer service counter with wheelchair access.
I used a Hilti Gun to attach the bottom plates to the floor. I did this every 16" in an alternate pattern (in between them) from the studs. For the customer service counter, I did a 42" wall that drops into a 36" high wall. Part of the counter had to be wheel chair accessible which is 36" high.
Paul Andersen (my wife's cousin actually), is a pretty serious bike rider. What happens when you are serious about something? Well, at some point you open you're own shop/store.
Ultimately, this was the road that Paul and his wife Trudee would take in their lives together. That is where I come in. They asked me to do the build for their shop/store. I said yes without hesitation, of course. The build will include a fitting room, customer service counter area, storage shelves, work benches, and what ever else Paul can think of. I will be doing the whole build for them which incldues framing, drywall, texture, paint, work benches, custom floating bike shelves, and odd/ends.
This post covers the 1st layer of drywall mud. I went to Home Depot and bought a 5 gallon container of drywall mud. This thing will take several coats to cover and then more to form different features. I got the 1st coat on and filled in 3/4 of the surface. A 2nd coat should get it completely covered.
Just so you know I used the entire bucket of this stuff and will have to get more tomorrow or next I go to Home Depot. The downside with using drywall mud or all purpose mud (basically), is that by the time I am done, this thing will have some weight to it. I'm guessing it will weigh about 75lbs maybe more. I will weigh it when I am done.
This post covers the chicken wire. The chicken wire is to further define features and to further form the kong skull. I applied this using my air stapler, using 1/2" staples.
Since chicken wire is bendable, it can be formed to further define features. If you look in the picture below (#05), you can see how the chicken wire further defines the top of the nose.
This post covers the padding. I added padding for a few reasons. It takes up bulk and stops my mud from falling out (backer). This is padding from couch that kept for something just like this. It was about 2' by 2' square.
Using this for bulk around the eyes and nose, helps define certain areas of the skull. To apply the padding I used my air staple gun. For areas that were to tight to get the gun into I used 3m adhesive spray.
This post covers the framing part of this project. I have decided to change a thing or two just to make this thing unique. I have altered the mouth and lower jaw, everything else I'm trying to get pretty much right on.
I started with just the basic frame and have then just added smaller pieces here and there for backing or to further define some features. After this I will further define areas by using a batting kind of material. This will help form more rigid eyes, jaw bone line, and nose. The chicken wire will help even further define areas for me before applying the plaster in the final stages.
Mother's Day was awesome this year for my wife, Angela. Last year we put in a garden and she has wanted a potting bench. I've put it off, not on purpose but because we had other things that we were doing and trying to get done. However, this year she was out of town for Mother's Day and I thought, I should build that thing.
I quickly did a scan of materials I had on hand and made a short list of some things to get from Home Depot. I went to Home Depot and picked up the items I needed.
Ok, my goal is to create a Zombie Kong, which basically is a King Kong Zombie type thing. It originally started out as the Pankot Palace Skull from "Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom" but as you will see, it isn't even close.
Several people who have seen this thing have asked why I chose an ape, lol. So, after reconsidering my options with this thing, trash it or keep it, I thought I'd keep it and rebrand it and call it a success.